Malate Church is a Baroque-style church which faces a small park and beyond that Manila Bay.
The church was built originally in the sixteenth century by the Augustinians and is one of the oldest churches in Manila outside of Intramuros. British soldiers took refuge in this church during their occupation of the Philippines and attack on Intramuros in 1762-63; repairs had to be made after they left. The church was destroyed by a typhoon in 1868 and then rebuilt. It was also badly damaged in World War II, and later restored again.
The church’s rooftop is in a form of a cross on aerial view.