Baluarte de San Diego
Located along the walls of Intramuros, Manila, it was designed and built by Jesuit priest Antonio Sedeno from 1586 to 1587 and it is one of the oldest stone fortifications in Intramuros. Began as a circular fort called Fort Nuestra Senora de Guia, renovated in 1593 to join the walls of the city. Fort fell in disrepair and in 1644 construction began for a new Baluarte which was completed between 1653 and 1663. Resembling an ace of spades, it housed a foundry during the 18th century.
The site is currently maintained as an archipelago site and gardens and pergola were added to make Baluarte de San Diego more appealing to visitors and more suitable for special occasions. It is open to the public but may be rented for private functions.
Baluarte de San Diego was breached by British forces in 1762 and it was restored and strengthened when the Spaniards returned, but was damaged and abandoned after the 1862 earthquake. It was totally destroyed during the Battle of Manila in 1945 but the restoration began in 1979 and it was completed in 1992. Though one will notice that the structure is very old and has molds on it but it preserves the glory of history in it. By the way watch out for flying golf balls since the place is just beside the Intramuros Golf Course.
BALUARTE DE SAN DIEGO
Intramuros Vistors Center Fort Santiago
Tel. (02) 5272961
Address: Intramuros Administration 5/F Palacio del Gobernador, Intramuros, Manila.